New Seven Wonders?
Okay, so I get the idea of updating the list to reflect a more global understanding of the word "world" (as opposed to a "Mesopotamia is AWESOME" interpretation of it) and, yeah, its cool that it was a show of international democracy, and yes, 6/7ths of the original list no longer exist... BUT STILL. I mean, wrong with commemorating our lost history? Why can't we just let the seven wonders stay as they are, even if we only ever hear about them in history class? I mean, they may all be gone now, but isn't there something great about the idea of kids learning about these fantastical creations that occupy a mythic place in our history? And the fact that they don't exist anymore makes it all the more important that we hold on to what we know about them. I mean, why bother to teach about the Babylonian Gardens or the Colossus of Rhodes if they don't count as wonders? And if we take away their "wonders" status, aren't we hammering the final nail into their coffins of obscurity?
And on a less pretentious note, THE PYRAMIDS OF GIZA STILL EXIST. I mean, thats just a slap in the face of ancient Egypt. They built those babies to last, and now we're saying, "nope, sorry, you may have survived near millenia of sandstorms, various and sundry rulers, multiple religions, Napoleon (the man blew off the nose of the Sphinx, thats all I'm saying), colonialism and two world wars, but you just aren't that wonderous anymore. We'd like that title back, thanks. Mexican pyramids are so hot right now." I can almost here the pyramids of Giza weakly yelling, "I'm not dead yet!"
8 months ago
3 comments:
I'm almost finished catching up on your blog and it's great, as always. I'm hugely jealous of your trip to Thailand. So jealous, in fact, that you might want to watch your back next year. I know where you sleep, afterall. I might forgive you if you whip up some of that lovely food, though. In fact, I can guarantee that I will.
I'm also a bit jealous that you're back in the US of A! Hoorah for the Bill of Rights!
I fly into ATL on th 29th. I expect that we will celebrate with fish tacos, cheese dip and marquaritas.
Have I already pitched my Eurotrash party idea to you? We will make a party, and there will be house music, disco music, bad hair and even worse accessories. It will be great!
Napoleon really did that??
I had no idea...
This new world wonders idea is great! Think of how much it will help tourism if underground Atlanta makes that list!
And great idea for the Eurotrash party. We must play Eurotrash techno.
Post a Comment